Launch your online store today
Reach customers directly with Telstra Business Website Services.Find out moreLaunch your online store today
Power up your customer database
Every business needs a single source of truth for core customer data – it could be an industry platform, a cloud-based portal or your own software. Salesforce is one of the most popular customer relations management (CRM) systems in Australia, but there are many others. It’s essential your CRM integrates easily with other software you use – marketing automation tools, email and social channels, for example. And ask yourself: does it sync to your mobile devices so you always have contacts at your fingertips? Your CRM is also only as good as the accuracy and amount of the data on it – can you use it to personalise online campaigns, send birthday notes or automate emails?
5 platforms that track big data for small prices
- Google Analytics: Tracks traffic and conversion of key performance indicators on your website.
- Mailchimp: Tracks email campaign open rates and offers powerful CRM integration.
- Yesware: Integrates with Salesforce and Gmail to gather engagement data for your emails.
- Tableau: A tool to help you visually present the data you have to your business partners.
- Jaspersoft: Integrates and embeds analytics into your own applications.
What data do you already hold?
You may already have access to valuable customer information – all you need is a way to capture it. Focus on the insights that can help you provide better service, increase sales or improve retention. These could include:
- Customer purchase history: Use this to trigger follow-up communications, service reminders, recommendations for complementary products and requests for reviews.
- Favourite purchase information: Use this information – from colour preferences to how they take their coffee – to personalise a customer’s experience.
- Purchase timings: Use this information to create reminders or seasonal offers and support more accurate sales forecasting.
For example, Gelato Messina use social media metrics to help them test different flavours before they start churning – they’re known to post a flavour on Facebook and can gauge within an hour how it will sell.
It’s direct feedback like this that can make more impact on your business decisions than worrying about the number of likes a post receives. Just make sure you put that information to work – turn your data into insights and your insights into action.
Originally published September 23rd 2014. Updated December 4th 2019.